Insurance and Cancer
The most important thing for adults and children with cancer is having a health insurance plan that covers needed cancer treatments. It’s key to keep your health insurance coverage with no coverage gaps.
Questions about insurance coverage often come up during treatment. Here are some tips for dealing with insurance-related questions:
- Speak with the insurer or managed care provider’s customer service department.
- Ask the cancer care team social worker for help.
- Hospitals, clinics, and doctors’ offices often have someone who can help you fill out claims for insurance coverage or reimbursement. Ask the case manager or a financial assistance counselor to help guide you through what can be a complex process.
- Talk with the consumer advocacy office of the government agency that oversees your insurance plan. (See If Your Insurance Claim Is Denied)
- Learn about the insurance laws that protect the public.